Police interrogating Champion; mystery shrouds GNLA Chief’s arrest modus operandi

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Staff Reporter
SHILLONG, July 31:
The State police is in the process of interrogating the Chief of the banned militant outfit – Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) Champion Sangma who was arrested after being pushed back to India by Bangladesh authority on Monday, police said here on Tuesday.
“Interrogation process against the militant is underway”, State Director General of Police (DGP) N Ramachandran said here.
The DGP further stated, “We hope that many things will come out in the days to come”.
On Monday last, Chairman of the Garo terrorist outfit – Garo National Army Liberation (GNLA) Champion R Sangma was arrested by the police after he was pushed back to India by Bangladesh authorities.
Soon after being arrested, Champion was produced in the Court of the Chief Judicial Magistrate here which remanded him to 15 days police custody.
Meanwhile, with state police and security agencies claiming that the Chief of GNLA was apprehended on the basis of specific inputs about movements of militant, sources revealed that the militant chief was pushed back through an orchestrated exercise undertaken at by the security agencies of India and Bangladesh.
Interestingly, this was denied by the central agencies and the state police.
Ramachandran refused to admit that the Meghalaya Police swung into action to arrest Champion Sangma from Umkrem village as part of the Bi-lateral deal of the two countries.
The GNLA Chief was arrested from an acre nut orchard, not from a house or hideout and not with anybody guards.
Sticking on his earlier statement that GNLA chief was apprehended based on inputs about the movement of militants, the DGP said that the police team laid an ambush on the basis on intelligence inputs and found that the militant was identified as Champion Sangma.
However on his arrest, even the BSF continues to feign ignorance about the arrest of a top militant right in their own domain.
Mentionably, Umkrem village is closed to the unfenced stretch of the Indo-Bangladesh border. It is also just hundred meters away from the area known as “adverse position”. It is located in a spot adjacent to 1272 main border pillar with three “T” pillars around the place of the place that the alleged arrest was made on Monday morning.
The border stretch is being manned by a strong BSF, a force that claims to have made innumerable catches after erecting more vigilant points to reduce the mandate of monitoring a border that is less than 6 kilometers.
Even the military intelligence denied having knowledge about the ‘virtual’ exercise of handing over the GNLA chief who was kept under preventive detention in Bangladesh for more than six months.
Interestingly, the village (Umkrem) that the GNLA Chairman was arrested is the same area where the Chairman of the ULFA Arobindo Rajkhewa, his Deputy Commander Raju Baruah and family members were alleged to have been apprehended by the BSF in December 4, 2009.
Leader of the NDFB Ranjan Daimary was also said to have been arrested by the BSF on May 1, 2010 from the same village located close to the International border pillar 1272. A top Lashkar-e-Taiba Safraz and his accomplice Nazir, both accused of being involved in the Bangalore blast were also arrested from nearby the same pillar.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here