Shillong, Aug 09: Delhi Police on Saturday rescued a Garo woman (name withheld) from being forced into flesh trade, who had been brought to the national capital on the promise of a false job. However, it was after a very daring effort from the lady itself that her rescue was possible.
The Garo woman aged about 46 years, of Baksalpara under Mendipathar North Garo Hills, had been lured from her home by some unidentified people on the pretext of providing her a job in Delhi.
She was told that she would be provided a job that would pay her around Rs 20,000-30,000 per month, though the nature of the work was never explained.
TURA, Aug 09: A rally was held on Saturday by the employees of the State Bank of India (SBI) which was joined in by various NGOs and other banks of the region to protest the kidnapping of the SBI employee near Chiringpara in South Garo Hills (SGH). The rally was led by the SBI Assistant General Manager (AGM), Nixon Joseph and had more than 400 participants from various parts of the town. The procession, which started at 1:30 from the Chandmari branch moved through the whole town, including the office of the Deputy Commissioner (DC), Superintendent of Police (SP) and the main market before going back to where it started.
On August 5, Subodh Mishra was abducted by six unidentified gunmen while he was proceeding towards Barengapara in West Garo Hills (WGH) on his motorbike after discharging his duties for the day.
Geneva, Aug 08 (IANS): The World Health Organisation (WHO) Friday declared the Ebola virus disease (EVD) outbreak in West Africa as an International Health Emergency.
“A coordinated international response is deemed essential to stop and reverse the international spread of Ebola,” the WHO said in a statement issued after a two-day meeting here of its emergency committee.
“It was the unanimous view of the committee that the conditions for a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) have been met,” it added.
It noted that the Ebola outbreak in West Africa constituted an “extraordinary event” and a public health risk to other countries.
SHILLONG, Aug 08: The Khun Hynniewtrep National Awakening Movement (KHNAM) Friday held State Government under the leadership of Chief Minister Dr. Mukul Sangma solely responsible for the sufferings of the people in Meghalaya caused by the National Green Tribunal (NGT) ban on coal mining, even as he blamed people’s ‘greed’ for the ban.
It also came down heavily against few politicians who are on the fore front fighting for the cause of those affected by the National Green Tribunal (NGT) order on banning rat-hole coal mining in Meghalaya.
SHILLONG, Aug 09: Member of Parliament from Tura Purno A Sangma Saturday said any discussion on jati, jan jati and jan sampad of India will be incomplete without reference to the North East.
He informed that, as of now, there are 220 ethnic groups in the region, speaking as many dialects, adding that the colourful demographics of the region was impacted by settlement by Austro Asiatics, Tibeto Burmese and Indo Aryans.
He said during the 19th century, like many other parts of the rest of India, North East also became part of the British Empire.
SHILLONG, Aug 08: Officials of the Hima Mylliem Friday informed that Iewduh (Bara Bazar), one of biggest traditional market in Meghalaya, will remain closed on August 12 in view of the public meeting to announce recent decisions taken by the Hima and Khasi Hills Autonomous District Council (KHADC) including ban on selling of illegal liquor.
“The market will remain closed during the hours of joint public meeting of the Hima and the KHADC which would start from 9 am on Tuesday next,” the myntri of Hima Mylliem in charge Market, Kephas Langstieh told reporters at a press conference here on Friday.
TURA, Aug 08: More than 300 people, most belonging to the Home Guard section and their families, came out in protest against the arbitrary ruling of the government on the termination of their jobs. The rally or protest that started from the offices of the Home Guards ended in the Forest offices demanding either a reinstatement of their jobs or compensation of the livelihoods they have lost.
Women and children joined in the fight for a livelihood for all the displaced in the job cut. On June 25, 2014, 225 men and women received notices from the Forest Department that their services were no longer required. A total of more than 280 unarmed Home Guards lost their jobs in the process of the streamlining within the department.