TURA, Nov 11: In an exchange of fire between deserters led by Garo National Liberation Army’s (GNLA’s) Jongman alias Kobit Ch Marak and the East Garo Hills (EGH) police two days ago in Rongjeng, three cadres including the driver of the vehicle were injured and later arrested by the police. Shockingly, two of the three injured (one of them the driver of the vehicle) were minors, who had allegedly joined the GNLA just about 4 months ago.
The incident took place at about 7:30 pm on Sunday near Rongjeng, about 120 kms from Tura.
Jongman had deserted the GNLA from the general camp in West Khasi Hills (WKH), along with Skylance, who surrendered on Sunday in North Garo Hills and 10 other members of the outfit. Six had surrendered on Sunday, while the six traveling with Jongman had been at large.
NONGSTOIN/TURA, Nov 11: GNLA’s deserter Area Commander of West Khasi Hills (WKH) identified as Kobit Ch Marak alias Jongman surrendered before the District Superintendent of Police S.Nongtnger at Nongshram village in West Khasi Hills District on Tuesday.
He surrendered at about 9.45 AM along with an AK 56 and 84 rounds of AK ammunition, three magazines and a walkie-talkie set.
He had joined the armed group in the month of April, 2010.
TURA, Nov 11: The Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) on Tuesday has categorically denied that it had issued a reward for the killing of senior level police officers and members of the judiciary. Stating that the statement was not issued by the GNLA, as had been reported in a lot of local dailies, the Commander in Chief (C-in-C), Sohan D Shira said the work was done by someone else.
He however stated that the reward of Rs 15 lakhs for information on movement of police was issued by him. The threat was issued online on social networking site Facebook by a person with a Facebook handle of Salgro Arengh, wherein an award of Rs 20 lakhs was promised to anyone who eliminated top rank police officials, including the Director General of Police (DGP), Inspector General of Police (IGP) and Superintendents of Police (SPs) along with members of the judiciary.
“The news that appeared on November 5 alleging that the GNLA issued death threats and cash rewards for targeting police and administration officials, a day afore they promulgated a cash reward of Rs 10 lakh each to anyone to provide information on several most wanted GNLA bellwethers is baseless, said a release sent by the joint publicity secretary, Garo Mandei Ch Marak on behalf of the C-in-C, Sohan D Shira.
Meghalaya police worried over top leaders still at large
Deepak Singh Jyala
SHILLONG, Nov 10: Meghalaya Director General of Police (DGP) Monday expressed his angst that in spite of a lot of camps of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) have been busted lately even as many cadres have surrendered and arrested, the top leaders of the outfit are still at large. He also admitted that the outfit has become more ‘cunning, adaptable and elusive’.
Speaking to Meghalaya Times candidly, Meghalaya DGP PJP Hanaman said that there have been many surrenders; but not really of the top leaders, and that is worrying the police.
According to him, they don’t know what exactly they (GNLA) want though their commands have been split and movement has been restricted since ‘Operation Hill Storm’ was launched.
SHILLONG, Nov 11: The Meghalaya Editors & Publishers Association (MEPA) has condemned the attack on Ruhi Phawa a Jowai correspondent of Rupang and Paul Lamare by the ‘so called President of Jaintia Hills Truck Owners and Drivers’ Association (JHTOA)’, Balen Thubru.
MEPA has demanded the District Administration to look into the matter seriously and take the culprits to task.
MEPA has also wished for the speedy recovery of the two assaulted members of the press fraternity.
Meanhwile, the journalist fraternity of Jaintia Hills region has also strongly condemned the assault of two of its members on Tuesday and has demanded the arrest of the perpetrators.
SHILLONG, Nov 11: Addressing a one-day workshop on sensitization of rights and entitlements of persons with disabilities at Yojana Bhawan on Tuesday, Meghalaya Chief Secretary PBO Warjri said that there is a need for all sections of the society to come together and realise the need for ushering special assistance for differently abled persons.
“In this era where there is so much advancement of technology, we as humans need to put in more efforts to extend help for the physically challenged people,” Warjri said adding, “We need to provide more compassion and love for them.”
He also emphasised on the need for recognising the Act provided for the physically challenged people and offer them the same rights that all Indians enjoy in this country.
TURA, Nov 10: In what can only be described as extreme, school children of Chandigre village near Chibinang make a tryst with death every day in trying to get to school and back home. The sight which will soften the hardest hearts is an everyday occurrence as children wade through strong currents amidst a riverbed filled with dangerous boulders and stones to get to school and back. The village is about 100 kms from the town of Tura and still remains one of the most unconnected villages of the region.
The village of Chandigre is a small hamlet of about 2000 people living in about 450 houses. The village was one amongst many that were severely affected by the floods of September 22, falling within the Chibinang under the Selsellla block and falls across the Ringgi River.