SHILLONG, Nov 28: The rift within the Khun Hynniewtrep National Awakening Movement (KHNAM) is widening by the day with one faction of the political party led by Pyndap Saibon accusing the leader of the other faction, Adelbert Nongrum who is also an MLA, of floating a ‘fake Central Executive Committee’.
In this regard, the faction led by Saibon has decided to petition to the Election Commission of India (ECI) against the party’s lone MLA while sticking to the allegation that he has floated this fake CEC.
“We will soon file a complaint before the ECI against him (Nongrum) since he has misled the commission by claiming that a new body of the central executive committee has been elected which is not true,” Saibon said here on Wednesday.
His statement came in the wake of the recent announcement made by Nongrum who claimed that the ECI had recognized him as the president of the newly elected CEC of the KHNAM.
Terming the Nongrum-led CEC as ‘illegal’, Saibon, who is also a founding leader of the party said there has been no meeting of the general convention held to elect new office bearers of the CEC.
“As per Article 10 of the party’s constitution, new office bearers have to be elected in the general convention which has not been done by Nongrum,” the president said.
Accusing the MLA of ‘cheating’, Saibon said that the CEC had already accepted the resignations of Nongrum and THS Bonney from the posts of working presidents when they failed to pay heed to the repeated requests made for withdrawal of the same.
“When he (Nongrum) had resigned as the working president then how can he now claim to be the new president of the party? We also wanted to know when has the present CEC been dissolved and when has the GC being convened?” he asked.
Stating that he would fight against this injustice, Saibon further stated that the present leadership has decided not to recognize the ‘fake’ CEC led by Nongrum.
“This is because the body under my leadership was elected by the general convention held on January last year. Therefore, will bring this truth to the notice of the ECI and ensure the present CEC stay (till the end of its term),” he said.
Saibon also made it clear that he will not resign as he claims to have the confidence of the entire CEC.
Earlier, Nongrum and Bonney had demanded that Saibon steps down while alleging bias with regards to the issuing of party tickets in Jaiaw and Mawkhar-Pynthorumkhrah constituencies for the upcoming MDC elections.
The Saibon-led CEC had declared the state youth president Thomas Passah and a cabinet minister’s newphew Rocky Hek as party’s official candidates from Jaiaw and Mawkhar-Pynthorumkhrah respectively.
However opposing to this, the new body led by Nongrum had recently announced the name of Glenbert Khongwir as the candidate of the party from Mawkhar-Pynthorumkhrah constituency while keeping in abeyance the Jaiaw seat.
Jaiaw constituency is presently represented by Nongrum in the Khasi Hills Autonomous District Council.
Saibon said the decision to declare candidates from the two seats was taken on the 7th sitting of the CEC which Nongrum had failed to attend. According to him, Nongrum had never objected to the CEC’s move to invite applications for the two seats.
“We have also asked him whether he would want to contest the MDC election himself but he did not make his stand clear to the party. Now, we are made to understand that he still want to contest the MDC elections,” he said.