Print

MHRC calls for probe into electrocution of five people

Written by Meghalaya Times. Posted in Front Page

Staff Reporter
SHILLONG, Aug 10: The death of five people who were electrocuted here last month has prompted the Meghalaya Human Rights Commission (MHRC) to direct the Chief Secretary of Meghalaya, Y Tsering to set up a high level inquiry into the matter.
In a statement issued here on Friday, MHRC secretary A Mawlong said, “The Commission has taken a suo-motu cognizance of this matter and has directed the CS to cause an enquiry on the matter by an officer not lower than the rank of Secretary and to submit a report within 45 days.”


He said that attention of the Commission has been drawn to media reports pertaining to the death of five persons due to electrocution near Manikganj village in North Garo Hills District.
Mawlong also added that the Commission is of firm view that a high level inquiry needs to be conducted to unearth the actual truth of alleged negligence on the part of the Department concerned and also to fix responsibility on the persons for causing the happening of such unfortunate incident.


 

FaceBook  Twitter