Print

Shillong violence ‘funded’: Conrad

Written by Meghalaya Times. Posted in Front Page

Staff Reporter
SHILLONG, June 03: In a massive disclosure, Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma on Sunday said the ongoing violent agitation in certain parts of Shillong City is ‘funded’ by vested interests, without disclosing the identity of the funders. He also warned of ‘very stern action’ against such people.
“I want to inform you that the police have done its investigation and we have found out that there are certain people who are funding this particular agitation,” Conrad told journalists after reviewing the prevailing  law and order situation here on Sunday.


Refusing to give names by saying that the government will only reveal them at an appropriate time, he said, “Let me tell you we have found evidence of money and expensive alcohols being given to them (agitators).”
On preliminary interrogation, he said there are individuals, who were picked up by police, have confessed that they have been given money and that they have come there because of that.
The chief minister also informed that the government has already ordered for a magisterial inquiry into the matter.
“Right now a magisterial inquiry is going on and, if necessary, will go at a more detailed level as like I said we want to get to the root of this whole thing.”
In the meantime, Conrad said that the government and the police are already on the job to find out where the money is coming from and the individuals who are behind distributing money.
“Let me tell you very stern action will be taken against those people who are involved in funding and giving money to these people (agitators) who are coming forward and creating this trouble,” he warned.
He added that a detailed investigation is still going on some leads and records (as evidences) besides names of some people who are involved has been gathered.
Despite curfew imposed by the district administration, agitators in large number continued to attack the state security forces with stones at Motphran area, about 100 meters from where the assault of local boys first took place earlier on May 31.
On Sunday, the curfew in the 14 localities was relaxed for seven hours from 8 AM to 3 PM. Soon after this, the district magistrate again promulgated the curfew from 3 PM onwards.
Referring to a meeting held with the headmen of the affected localities and NGOs on Saturday, Conrad said, “We have talked to almost all the stakeholders and all of them have told us none of their people are there (part of the agitation). So if their people are not there and if the headmen have appealed to them to go back and still they are not listening, we are wondering who these people are.”
Meanwhile, the chief minister assured the citizens of the state and also the country that the state government would ensure safety and security to all the people and it will not allow anybody to fund such agitation and to take the law into their own hands.
“Yes we are concerned about the issues and we give our commitment that we will be sitting and discussing these issues and try to resolve them,” he said while stating that the target of the government is to restore normalcy in the city.
Asked whether any politicians are involved behind the incident, Conrad said he does not want to politicize the issue by taking any names, yet. He however said the government is aware of individuals and the channels from where the money and alcohol is coming and we are going to take action.


 

FaceBook  Twitter