SHILLONG, Jan 08: Opposing the State governments move to acquire land for setting up of BSF’s battalion headquarter in Mawkyrwat, the Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) on Monday cautioned the government of taking up other means of action if their request to stop the move goes unheeded.
“We have demanded the district authority to withdraw all letters for the purpose of land acquisition for the setting up of the BSF’s battalion headquarter in Mawkyrwat area within one week,” KSU – South West Khasi Hills (SWKH) District president Forwardman Nongrem said in a statement issued here on Monday.
In regard to this a memorandum was also submitted by a delegation of the KSU-SWKH led by Nongrem who met the district Deputy Commissioner on Monday.
He said the Union will be compelled to take other means of action if the office of the deputy commissioner fails to pay heed to the request made on this matter.
Condemning the proposed move of the district administration, Nongrem alleged that the decision to acquire land for the BSF was taken without any consultation with traditional institutions and people of the district.
Moreover, the KSU leader also questioned the motive of the state government to station the BSF headquarter in tension-free places instead of areas along the international border with Bangladesh.
“Many of the places in South West Khasi Hills except only those which are located just few kilometers away from Bangladesh are still living peacefully and does not require the presence of paramilitary forces as of now,” he claimed.
Stating that this issue is not new for the people of the district, Nongrem said that the Union also warned the agents who are supporting this move that the union is prepared to fight against any attempt to forcefully set up the BSF camp in the area.
He reminded that the stand of the people of the district was very clear at a meeting held at Mawkyrwat last year that they would strongly oppose any move to give land to the BSF in areas under Mawkyrwat, Umdohlun and Wahkaji.
“We will also continue to oppose this move and we will wait for the response of the deputy commissioner before we take a call on our future course of action,” Nongrem stated.