TURA, Sep 04: Four contract killers who had allegedly killed a person in cold blood after taking money for the murder were granted interim bail by the judicial magistrate after failure of the public prosecutor to object to their bail.
The four, identified as Silseng of Gabil, Salaam of Maudam, Sengran of Atchatchong and Malsin of Aduma, all in NGH were allegedly involved in the murder of one Galling Ch Sangma of Nirangma under Bajengdoba Police Station. Immediately after the granting of 10 days interim bail to the four accused NGH moved for the cancellation of bail and arrest of the accused as they had not only been involved in the murder but had been absconding from the police since the murder.
The four who were provided interim bail last Thursday were among a party of five people who had allegedly slit the neck of the victim after staying in his house for almost a month and befriending him. According to police sources the five had taken an amount of Rs 1 lakh for the murder of the victim on March 18, the day of the murder.
Two others who were a part of the same plot, Abut R Marak of Bekbekgre and Kabil Sangma of Rongbalgre in the same district have been jailed for the same crime though the others have managed to get an interim bail in the same matter.
According to police sources, when the hearing for bail came up in the Court of the magistrate, P K Boro, the police were in a meeting leaving the entire case in the hands of the public prosecutor, August Marak, who did not oppose bail to the accused.
In an effort to address the situation, NGH police moved for a cancellation of bail to the four accused due to the heinous nature of the crime on Tuesday.
According to sources, the victim was a target of quite a few people who allegedly hired a group of contract killers to eliminate the victim.
“The criminals first befriended the victim by staying in his house. On the day of the murder they came dressed in camouflage and asked the victim to show them the way to the house of the Nokma. En route they slit his throat and left him there,” said a highly placed source.
News of the bail being granted soon resulted in public outcry.
“They are handing out interim bail to murderers! This is news and a huge encouragement to all the wannabe murderers. Garo Hills is progressing and we should keep this up,” said a disgusted resident who requested anonymity.
Interestingly the bail order did not even have the names of the accused leading to confusion within police ranks as who had been granted bail. A surety of Rs 40,000 had been set meaning the police will have to let them off on production of surety.