Print

6th MLP battalion HQ demanded at Ri – Bhoi; recruitment shrouded in mystery

Posted in February 2012

Staff Reporter
Shillong, Feb 28:
The Ri – Bhoi Youth Federation (RBYF) have asserted that the Head Quarters (HQ) of the 6th Meghalaya Police Battalion be situated at Ri Bhoi.
RBYF President (Central Body), BB Makdoh, said since each district in state already has one battalion headquarters, it was time that Ri Bhoi also got one.
However, the government seems to be indecisive on the location of the Battalion. Sources revealed that government has been scouting the district for a suitable location, but has not really found one.

FaceBook  Twitter  
Print

Fierce gunfight after rebels attack Meghalaya police officer

Posted in February 2012

Shillong, Feb 28: A fierce gunbattle ensued in Meghalaya's restive West Garo Hills district Tuesday after Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) rebels ambushed a vehicle of a senior police officer.
No casualty was reported, police said.
The gunbattle, which lasted for nearly an hour, began when a group of heavily armed GNLA rebels fired several shots at the vehicle of Ampati sub-divisional police officer Sacheng R. Marak travelling to Dalu from Tura, the district headquarters of West Garo Hills.A group of 10 GNLA rebels assembled on a hilltop at Ramdapara area and fired at the vehicle which Marak was in along with his bodyguards.

FaceBook  Twitter  
Print

Compensation for rape, trafficked victims in Meghalaya

Posted in February 2012

Staff Reporter
Shillong, Feb 28:
Government on Tuesday approved the “Meghalaya Victims Compensation Scheme” as per requirement of Section 357 A of the CrPC.
Speaking to reporters after the Cabinet meeting, Chief Minister Dr Mukul Sangma said, "Victims of rape and those who suffer mental agony due to kidnapping and trafficking will be compensated accordingly,".
As per the scheme, rape victims will receive maximum amount of Rs 50,000 and those who suffer mental agony due to kidnapping and trafficking will be given a ceiling of Rs 25,000.
To avail the compensation under the scheme, victims have to file petition before the District Legal Service Authority and a complaint to officer-in-charge of the police station, within six months of the incident.
Dr Sangma highlighted that the victims will receive the compensation within 90 days of registering their case. 


FaceBook  Twitter  
Print

Grant – in – Aide enhanced for adhoc colleges in State

Posted in February 2012

Staff Reporter
Shillong, Feb 28:
Meghalaya Government has decided to enhance the Grant – in – Aide for the seven adhoc colleges in State.
The decision was taken in the cabinet meeting held on Tuesday here.
State Education Minister, Dr RC Laloo informed that the Grant – in – Aide has been decided in consultation with the managing committees of the colleges.
He informed that the government has decide to borne 75 percent of the Grant – in – Aide while the remaining 25 percent will be borne by the managing committees.
As per the enhanced Grant – in – Aide, there will be additional financial implication of Rs 11,80,204 per month.
Earlier, the total financial implication was Rs 24,87,927.


FaceBook  Twitter  
Print

North-east to be self-sufficient in food grain by 2015: ICAR

Posted in February 2012

Shillong, Feb 28: Many north-eastern states will be self-sufficient in food grain production by 2015, a top official of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) said Tuesday.
"By 2015, many food-grain deficit states like Mizoram, Meghalaya and Sikkim will be sufficient in food grain production," ICAR Director (northeast region) S V Ngachan said here addressing a workshop on strategies for climate resilient agriculture in the region.
The ICAR Chief for North Eastern Region (NER) was all praise for Nagaland which has achieved self sustainability in food grain production and for Assam, whose food grain production has increased from 3.7 million tonnes in 2010-11, to 5 million tonnes during the current year.

FaceBook  Twitter