Print

Police makes headway into threat SMS to Minster

Posted in August 2012

Staff Reporter
SHILLONG, Aug 31:
Following the recent threatening SMSs received by the State Urban Affairs Minister, State police Friday said headway into the case has been made as the source from where the message was send has been traced even as they said that investigation is on to nab the sender.
“We have traced the source”, East Khasi hills district Superintendent of Police M Kharkhrang told reporters here.
He however said, “Investigation is already on and we are on the job to trace down the sender” without divulging any details further.
Recently, State Urban Affairs Minister Ampareen Lyngdoh has received threatening text messages in her cell phone after her good will visit to Maharashtra and Karnataka to counter the mass exodus of NE students from these states.
Speaking to reporters here, Lyngdoh informed that the hate messages were sent by an unidentified person, who the police are tracking, in her cell phone on the intervening nights of August 27 when she landed in Kolkata.
Mentionably, Lyngdoh was part of a three member cabinet minister team that visited Karnataka and Maharashtra last week aimed at verifying on the reported racial discrimination against NE youths studying and working in these states and to reassure them that necessary steps are being taken by the respective state governments.
“Initially I did not pay heed to the first message that I got. But then subsequently another two messages were sent from the same number which forced me to file an FIR,” the lone lady legislator in the state Assembly said.
She said the messages were clearly hate messages targeting her as a woman and as a public representative.
The lone lady minister in Dr Mukul Sangma-led government said the messages are probably from a male “who is sick in the head…” even as she warned him that he will be tracked down.


FaceBook  Twitter